Re: [Axiom-developer] SVN problems

From: root
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] SVN problems
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2006 18:06:47 -0400

> Maybe the picture is already broken in CVS and was wrongly moved from
> CVS to SVN?

The picture is fine in CVS. I found a site online that said that the
automatic conversion function fails to properly classify binaries.
The SVN site was created automatically from CVS by Sourceforge.
I suspect the binary problem started there.

If you look in PATCH49-50/PATCHES you can see the commands I used
to mark the files. (PATCHES contains all the commands I executed
that modified the repository).

I did an Arch checkout (to axiom) and an SVN checkout (to silver).
Then I did:
   diff -r --brief axiom silver
and found that the axiom30yr.jpg was different because of newlines.
(Why a source code control system changes a file is beyond me.)

So I copied a corrected version, check that it was correct with
   firefox axiom30yr.jpg
and used the recommended command (see the PATCHES file).

Eventually I did
  svn commit
which said it worked. Then it sent email to the list saying
that a commit happened. Thus, my files are now safe (since
commit is supposed to be a transaction, either fully succeeding
or fully failing).

A clean, new checkout shows that the file is still mangled.

And the problem is not only .jpg files.

If you look at the zips directory some of the patch files
do not compare. Patch files are straight ascii text. They
are designed to survive being sent by email which traditionally
mangles data.

If you want a silver branch that contains the latest patches
I'm willing to maintain that. But SVN is not a good place to
do that it seems. Since people don't like Arch or CVS perhaps
we could consider darcs which Bill seems to love (and which is
the only system we haven't yet tried).

Failing that I'd be happy to set up a silver Arch branch.