RE: [Axiom-developer] SVN problems

From: Bill Page
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] SVN problems
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2006 20:58:18 -0400

On September 4, 2006 7:59 PM Tim Daly wrote:

> > Tim are you indeed using a windows-based system?
>
> I'm using Fedora Core 5. There aren't any 'settings' that I'm
> aware of.

> > Bill, how did you "solve" the problems?

Although the answer is irrelevant to Tim's situation, I do not
have a solution to the problems on Windows yet. Most recently
I upgraded my version of TortioseSVN but the problem did not
go away. My next attempt will be to install the cygwin version
of SVN and try it that way. Of course since we don't build
Axiom under cygwin on Windows, that is less than desirable.
Perhaps there is another native Windows version of SVN besides
Tortoise?

> I just did
>
>    svn checkout
>    modify files
>    svn commit
>
> Under what conditions would you expect to check in a file,
> check it out again, and have it not compare?

I believe that this would happen if the files you are modifying
are incorrectly labelled as 'text' files.

> Try checking out the Arch golden source and do a
>   diff -r --brief golden silver
>
> At the time I did the silver commit these two source trees
> were identical. Following the commit I did an svn checkout
> and the trees differ radically.

I expect this would happen for example to .jpg and .zip files
already in the repository that are not properly labelled as
'binary'. You need to change this attribute in SVN for these
files before doing the commit.