RE: [Axiom-developer] RE: cross-compiling Axiom

From: C Y
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] RE: cross-compiling Axiom
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 08:45:11 -0700 (PDT)

Just so I can see if I'm successfully following this or not, can I try
and list a few points and see if I am understanding them correctly?

We want to use gcc and the GNU tools to create a binary targeted for HP
Unix Debian Linux on a Sparc, or Windows on an x86 Linux host, that can
be copied from Linux to the target system with ftp or a USB stick and
run with no further compiling.  The target system is in no way required
for anything except running the final binary. Is this what Linux
distributors want to be able to do?  And is the issue that GCL cannot
currently build using the non-host-system binutils and include files
that are required for this to work?  Or will Axiom also have trouble
even if we get GCL itself to do this?

Things We Can Do:

1.  Camm and the Debian team can build GCL and Axiom on a wide variety
of target platforms, but it is not clear if they are doing this using
the "normal" way Linux distributions want to or have some special
provisions like having at least one machine of every target type
available.  Based on Gaby's comments I take it the Debian solution is
not general enough to meet everyone's needs, however they are doing it.

2.  We can build on Linux and sometimes Windows using existing tools on
those platforms, but we cannot build a Linux binary on Windows or a
Windows binary on Linux.  (Correct?)

Moving to other platforms, our options are:

1.  Produce a working GCL for a platform, then build Axiom on that
platform using the GCL made for it

2.  Produce a working GCL and a working Axiom binary for a platform,
with no compiling work done on the target system.

Is that the distinction here Gaby?  Doing 1 is NOT cross-compiling,
while #2 is?  And #2 is the one we currently cannot do?

Cheers,
Cliff