Re: [Axiom-developer] DeveloperNotes.pamphlet

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] DeveloperNotes.pamphlet
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2006 09:42:40 -0500 (CDT)

On Sun, 10 Sep 2006, Ralf Hemmecke wrote:

| [snip]
|
| > I've modified that file (on build-improvements) to take into account
| > the exit status of latex and the makefiles do now take it into
| > account.  The consequences is that it exposes few cases where the
| > typesetting process is not OK.  The above mentioned file is one of
| > them.  In particular is contains in various places characters '$', '#'
| > un-escaped, enclosed in [[ ]].  It also contains things like
| >
| >    [[./lib/htrefs]]\\
| >    [[./lib/htsearch]]\\
| >    [[./lib/hthits]]
|
| > which confuses latex in many places.  etc.
|
| > My question was whether anybody actually tried to typeset that file
| > successfully.
|
| I haven't sent you the commands for nothing.

You probably think I'm kidding and made this all out of the air?

| Run them and you'll see
| that everything IS fine. DeveloperNotes.pamphlet is a noweb file, so you
| have to noweave it before running latex on it.

I was NOT doing anything by hand till the build failed precisely on
that point.  Everything is done by the Makefiles which does
${DOCUMENT} them.

| The [[...]] syntax is from noweb.

yes, I know.  Thanks.

[...]

| By the way, I rather think that latexing files should not be done by
| "document" but rather by some well designed Makefile logic.

that is what they are if you have a look at the Makefiles.

Thanks.

-- Gaby