RE: [Axiom-developer] RE: Google Code repository

From: Page, Bill
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] RE: Google Code repository
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 19:51:38 -0400

Greg,

On Thursday, September 21, 2006 7:05 PM you wrote:
> > This CPAN stuff is pretty scary! :-) I must have just downloaded
> > and installed several hundred new Perl packages in the list 5
> > minutes!
>
> Yes, if there is a lot of prerequities my method is tedious.

Well

  $ cpan
  cpan> install ...

is great when everything works (almost as good as apt-get! :)

> You are not alone with this problem, and it is not a bug,
> I believe, in this module. Search with Google
> "Malformed UTF-8 character (unexpected non-continuation byte".
> Some persons change the read/write mode of the filehandle to
> the binary one (with binmode), some others prepend a LANG=C
> to the command line. Or maybe modifying the open call with a
> "<:byte" or a "<:utf8" could help (see perldoc PerlIO). But
> this requires to modify this module, it's not a good solution.

I just did:

  $ LANG=C perl -MCPAN -e 'install File::Type'

and the install worked fine.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Now I finally have a working

  $ svk version
  This is svk, version 1.08.

> Is there some Perl gurus here?

I think you are well qualified for that job. :-)