[Axiom-developer] Re: Pamphlet style (was: Literated VMLISP.LISP.PAMPHLE

From: Frithjof Schulze
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: Pamphlet style (was: Literated VMLISP.LISP.PAMPHLET)
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2006 16:08:24 +0200

Ralf Hemmecke <address@hidden> wrote:

> > I put the file in the wiki-source,
>
> would it have been too hard to provide the URL directly? If you want
> to have help, make it nearly zero-effort for potential contributors.

Yes, I should, and could have done that easily.

> > so hopefully somebody comes up with
> > some kind of criticism. This is just a first try and I welcome
> > tips/ideas what to change.
>
> > Hopefully I didn't made any content related errors?
>
> Hmmm... the first thing YOU have to make sure is that your local copy
> of the Axiom sources still compiles without error (including the
> testcases).
>
> Whether you wrote good or bad content into the latex part of the
> pamphlet is another question that needs review by other developers.
> But the semantics should not change (at least not now or not too
> drastically).

Yes, axiom still compiles and testing a little by hand everything still
works fine.

> Hmmm... the first thing YOU have to make sure is that your local copy
> of the Axiom sources still compiles without error (including the
> testcases).

Are the testcases tried if I just recompile axiom or do I have compile
the whole program? There is no "test" clause or so in the Makefile.

> That is for now. In the long run I would even like to see standard
> algorithms documented in a self-contained way in a pamphlet. It
> basically means that Axiom should become not only a leading CAS, but a
> source for learning about algorithms and the underlying theory.

That is in a way what I thought to do the other way round:
Learn about the algorithms and thereby documenting axiom.

> I hope that was not too long...

No. What you wrote could actually be used in the wiki.

> So first add your question to the FAQ page then open up
> http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/PamphletStyle. And add your experience
> and vision of how pamphlets should look like. Hopefully, we will soon
> have some good guideline for new contributors.

I don't have that much 'visions' now. It will take some time until
there is a whole guideline, but I will start one.

Frithjof