[Axiom-developer] RE: [M#73697383] Re: Disk-quota Request

From: Bill Page
Subject: [Axiom-developer] RE: [M#73697383] Re: Disk-quota Request
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006 16:43:25 -0400

Gaby,

On September 29, 2006 4:10 PM you wrote:

> On Fri, 29 Sep 2006, Bill Page wrote:
>
> | On September 29, 2006 8:19 AM Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:
> | >
> | > Yes, this is definitely a client-side error.  When the svn client
> | > sends a file to the server (during a commit), it uses xdelta to
> | > diff-encode the data into a temporary file, then the neon library
> | > (an http client library) pushes the tmpfile over the wire.
> |
> | Thanks for the explanation. Our service providers has modified
> | the configuration of /tmp on our server to provide more space
> | and the 'svk smerge' command is now working happy apparently
> | re-creating the Axiom subversion repository on Google in the
> | expected manner. :-)
>
> That is great!
>
> It is comforting to see that technology works :-)

Well, um ... as usual I was too optimistic.

After 24 hours of running:

  svk smerge --baseless --incremental --verbatim --remoterev \
    /mirror/axiom /mirror/google --message="Initial commit"

where /mirror/axiom is a mirror of the SourceForge repository
and /mirror/google is a mirror of the Google Code repository,

I got this message twice:

...skipping
A   branches/build-improvements/src/input/sregset.input.pamphlet
A   branches/build-improvements/src/input/lump.input.pamphlet
RA layer request failed: PUT of
  '/svn/!svn/wrk/b478bcbe-991e-0410-ae1c-cb0b31e56b2f/branches/build-
  improvements/src/input/lump.input.pamphlet': 502 Bad Gateway
  (https://axiom.googlecode.com)
  Please sync mirrored path /google first.

I had to restart from scratch because initially I did not (yet)
know about using --incremental.

Then the third time around this time using the incremental option
so that at least something got committed in case it failed again,
at revision 19 I got the error message:

New merge ticket: 54bea96e-1511-0410-8851-aaeae44645fa:/:18
A repository hook failed: MERGE request failed on '/svn':
Commit would put repository over quota limit.

Arrggggh! :-(

The complete svn repository on SourceForge is only 233,248 Kb.
It should have fit on Google!

On axiom-developer.org I can rsync the entire repository from
SourceForge and create a local mirror in about 10 minutes and
everything works fine.

Maybe 'svk smerge' is too brain-dead about the way it recreates
the branches and ends up duplicating more code than in the
original SourceForge repository?

Or maybe we do not actually have 250Mb. available on Google?

Again, not having shell access to Google Code is making this
unnecessarily excruciating. At least I could use svnadmin and
tidy things up. But doing things this way is ridiculous.

Where to go from here?

1) Start over from scratch again!? and this time do what I had
planned originally - just commit trunk, copy trunk to branches
build-improvements, and then commit an up to date version of
build-improvements? I.e. lose all the history?

2) Beg for another 100 Mb. from Google and continue the smerge?

3) Ask someone who does have shell access to Google Code to just
rsync this turkey from SourceForge for us?

What do you think?

PS. On a related issue. The more I think about the 'zips'
directory in the Axiom distribution the more I think it was a
ReallyStupid (tm) invention. Why take a source code tarball from
another project (gcl) and stick it into the Axiom repository?
If we really need a copy of gcl, why don't we just add it properly
into the repository as source code? Why do we work around the
capabilities of the source code control system by saving the
tarball and patches against it, having to apply these patches
during the build instead of just committing these patches to
Axiom's version of gcl in the repository? All of this stuff is
stored in the repository in a compressed manner anyway, right?