[Axiom-developer] Re: Sage CD

From: Alfredo Portes
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: Sage CD
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2006 07:28:31 -0400

Hi Bill,

I spent some time today learning how to use the DoyenCD to
directly "clone" another DoyenCD. Actually it is pretty simple.

1) All you need is to copy the entire contents of the /boot
   directory (and *only* this directory) to some other place,
   say '/dev/hdb/tmp-boot' where it is editable (preferable a
   Linux partition on the hard disk, but smbfs mount also seems
   to work.

2) Set the PATH like this:

   cd /dev/hdb/tmp-boot
   export PATH=./tools:$PATH

   Then just use 'mo2dir' to expand the module file, e.g.
   'base/var.mo' into another temporary directory, say
   '/dev/hdb/tmp-var'.

3) Apply the diffs from the actually /var directory (where
   zope really lives) to '/dev/hdb/tmp-var',

4) then zip it back up again as 'var.mo' using 'dir2mo'

5) and replace the module file in '/dev/hdb/tmp-boot/base'

6) Now create the iso CD image using 'make_iso.sh', et voila.

Waoo, really nice. I always wanted to used th tools scripts, but
having the machine it was usually easier for me to just create a new
iso. This can be a good idea to give users a basic Doyen CD that they
can modify without starting from scratch.

One thing I noticed is that after getting this to work,
we should also run

   http://local-host/.../upgradeAll

to re-generate all of the pages. When I did this I discovered
a problem with the 'AxiomLanguage' page because the LaTeX
command \axiomType is not defined in LatexTemplate causes a
LaTeX error. It needs
  \def\axiomType#1{{\bf #1}}

There are probably some other missing Axiom-required LaTeX
commands needed in LatexTemplate. Take a look in

  http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/LatexTemplate

for any other missing ones that you find.

Did not this feature. I saw the LatexTemplate file, but never knew if
all the environments were required.

Regards,

Alfredo