Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: doyen

From: Alfredo Portes
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: doyen
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 22:21:56 -0400

Alejandro,

Good to hear that you are interested on the Doyen idea. Please
subscribe to this list so you can be up to date with the project.

> and later on, I have been found some more information distributed in several
> places like:
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/doyencd

This page surely should be updated.

> http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/DoyenCD

Any comment you post into this page (wiki) gets mailed to the
axiom-developer mailing list. Feel free to give your opinions on
things you would like to see in the LiveCD or issues you confronted.

> Some comments on this subject follow in this email. And not to a
> forum/list, as I do not know which is the proper place. I see that
> http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/Doyen is not active (its last post
> was 29 Nov 2004), and doyen-developer does not seem to be right
> either as I am not developer and its archive shows answers to
> messages not there.

This page was the initial layout of the project. It contains the
initial ideas from Tim Daly and Bill Page. I really would like to use
this page to present the future ideas and goals of the project. Maybe
you can help with this :-).

> a. I have booted with doyen081306, and as root copied the Maple 10
> directory of Debian Sarge 3.1 file system (/usr/local/maple10) to
> the same location on the Doyen file system. Maple worked fine (at
> least for my little test).

very interesting.

> 3. I was attracted to the idea of Doyen CD at first because it was
> suggested in http://daly.axiom-developer.org/doyen/ that it brings
> many CAS (presumably in the recent versions) already installed: [...]
> etc. But doyen04262005 brings just these systems: Axiom, Yacas,
> Octave, Maxima and Magnus, as far as I could see, and doyen081306
> Axiom, Maxima and Magnus.
> I have to say that I was a little disappointed with what I have
> found inside.

Well, it depends on what you wanted to find inside Doyen :-). The lack of maybe
certain programs is compensated by other factors (A Wiki capable of
supporting literate programming and inline calculations.).  The
initial idea was to have a set of programs that could be added to the
wiki. This takes some time, because every system has different syntax
and output.

But stay tuned things are going to get better... :-)

With the work of Bill Page and the Sage Project
(http://modular.math.washington.edu/sage/ ), the Doyen CD will have
support for many other systems. The Sage project is trying to unify
all this different CA systems into one common framework (similar in
principle to Doyen). Having Sage inside Doyen means in theory that
Doyen will inherit any new system that is added to Sage.

One thing that we have lack is feedback, like yours, proposing things
to be added to Doyen. Please let me know what programs you would like
to see included, and I will do everything possible to add them (given
the space 700 MB). Maybe, it is time to create a Doyen DVD if the
amount of systems grow.

If you would like to contribute to the project, just let me know.

Thank you very much,

Alfredo Portes