RE: [Axiom-developer] GIT

From: Bill Page
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] GIT
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 11:19:30 -0400

Jay,

On October 24, 2006 10:49 AM you wrote:

> I hope I'm not just cluttering up the mail list with more talk
> about revision control systems,

You can't clutter up something that is already cluttered up... ;)

> but svn had stopped working for me, and git finally gave me a
> working silver branch of Axiom, and quickly, too.

What was your problem svn? Did you try the Google Code mirror?

> "Bill Page" <address@hidden> writes:
> > But Mercurial is faster (and some say better) than git.
>
> I'll have to give it a shot.  The web page claims that it will act
> in a familiar manner to CVS users.  Also, I guess Sage did switch
> to using Mercurial.

Sage was previously using darcs. They found darcs too slow. But
I have found that even darcs is signigicantly faster than svn.

Apparently Mercurial was developed partly in response to criticism
of git by another group of developers working the linux kernel.

Mercurial: an alternative to git [pro Mercurial]
  http://lwn.net/Articles/151624

git vs hg [pro git]
http://www.jukie.net/~bart/blog/git-vs-hg

etc. etc.

> > See links at bottom of page
> >
> > http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/AxiomSources
>
> I don't quite get how that works (perhaps because I haven't read
> up on Mercurial yet).  What would be the command to check out the
> silver repository?

After installing mercurial do this:

hg clone
http://page.axiom-developer.org/repo/hgwebdir.cgi/axiom/build-improvements