Re: [Axiom-developer] GIT

From: C Y
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] GIT
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 03:40:25 -0700 (PDT)

--- root <address@hidden> wrote:

> i've been unable to use SVN and could generate no interest in GIT.

It's interesting to me, but I'm somewhat dismayed by the multitude of
systems we are going through.  I would have been happy to standardize
on and learn Arch, but as it is no longer maintained that's not really
a viable long term option.

If GIT works fast and suits our needs, I'd be glad to learn that.  More
important to me is that we pick SOMETHING.  Automatically syncing to
other repositories is fine for backup purposes, but I think it is a
distraction to be spending so much time on tools rather than Axiom
itself.

There are too many "live" trees.  I can understand different branches
on an individual machine, but for online work of this nature I think
scattering changes over half a dozen repositories is a Bad Idea.  Too
much chance of a patch getting lost.  I uploaded some files that had
been broken down into smaller chunks onto the wiki axiom--test--1
branch (I think).  Did that ever get noticed or did it just get lost?
It's too easy to do work that doesn't get noticed by the "cricical core
mass" of the project.  Maxima has one central repository where all
changes wind up, and I think that has worked out fairly well.  Branches
are generally made for releases only.

I'm less concerned with what tool we use, and more concerned that we
just pick a tool and use it.  Ultimately everyone can generate tarballs
and use tools to make and merge changesets into their own favorite
local system - for the project, we need to focus more and avoid the
endless tool parade.  I would have been fine with SVN, but the problems
key developers are having with running it make it problematic.  If
everybody likes GIT that's great - I'll be glad to install it - but
let's pick something and go with it.

Cheers,
CY