[Axiom-developer] Hypertex and pty

From: Waldek Hebisch
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Hypertex and pty
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 02:36:23 +0200 (CEST)

I wanted to try hypertex in silver on Gentoo Linux.  It turned out
that I can not start sman, becouse 'ptyopen' was failing.  Atfter
a little investigation I found out that the machine (which otherwise
uses bleeding edge new software) has only old legacy pty's -- the
new '/dev/ptmx' and '/dev/pts' were not enabled.  All other
software worked fine, trying '/dev/ptmx' first and then silently
falling back to legacy pty's -- only Axiom assumed that Linux
must have working '/dev/ptmx'.

While I consider this machine as misconfigured, the problem may
appear in real use.  If we want Axiom to "just work" it should
also try new method first and then fall back to legacy pty's.

--
                              Waldek Hebisch
address@hidden