RE: [Axiom-developer] Axiom unsoundness

From: Page, Bill
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] Axiom unsoundness
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 13:54:29 -0400

On Friday, October 27, 2006 1:01 PM Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:

> Waldek Hebisch writes:
> |
> |    >> System error:
> |    Caught fatal error [memory may be damaged]
>
> I've been running into this "memory may be damaged" stuff very
> often these days ]with students, everything is possible :-)].
> Most of them happens on invalid syntax and such.  The system
> should be more resilient should not corrupt memory just because
> of syntax errors and such.

Actually I believe that in *most* cases this error message
greatly over states the case and is probably rather poorly
choosen from a user psychology point of view. (Many of Axiom
error message suffer from this.) In spite of this message,
have not seen  any clear evidence of corrupt memory. Really
this is a Lisp issue and my experience with GCL is that in
spite of some surprising things that it does to manage
memory, it does in fact do quite a good job.

I'd be interested if you have any evidence actual memory
problems.