Re: [Axiom-developer] paths to viewport in build-improvements

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] paths to viewport in build-improvements
Date: 28 Oct 2006 15:16:23 +0200

Waldek Hebisch <address@hidden> writes:

| Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:
| > Waldek Hebisch <address@hidden> writes:
| >
| > | I looked at hypertex pages and AFAICS I can use a simple sed script
| > | in a loop to fix paths in .pht files:
| > |
| > | sed 's,/doc/viewports/,/share/viewports/,g'
| > |
| > | After copying images from silver (to correct corruption which I described
| > | in anothe mail) and applying this script I was able to see graphic
| > | examples in build-imporvements.
| > |
| > | However, I am not sure if the new path that is '$AXIOM/share/viewports'
| > | is a good one. Namely, both viewports are machine independent. OTOH
| <snip>
| > This is an issue I was hoping to resolve very late in the process :-)
| >

| What about the following patch, where I replaced copy by sed so that
| when installing .pht files. It allowed me to view graphic examples,
| while in the future we can easily change patterns (as I wrote, we
| should be able to generate pht files, so in long term Makefile will
| be different).

Please add in the main pamphlet file, an explanation of why we need
the sed transformation.  Some along the line of

   The [[.pht]] files contain hardcoded pathnames to bitmap files in the
   installed system.  Of course, that is asking for trouble.  During
   installation, we must change those paths to reflect the correct
   location of the bitmap files.  That necessary step is implemented
   as:
             for A in `ls *.pht`; do \
                sed 's,/doc/viewports/,/share/viewports/,g' $$A \
                                        > ${HYPER}/pages/$$A; \

   In the long term, the [[.pht]] should be generated at either build
   time or installation time.

Please expand as necessary, but we do need an explanation of why we
are doing that.

| diff -ru build-improvements.bb/src/hyper/Makefile.in
build-improvements/src/hyper/Makefile.in
| --- build-improvements.bb/src/hyper/Makefile.in       2006-10-27
23:37:14.000000000 +0200
| +++ build-improvements/src/hyper/Makefile.in  2006-10-28 04:40:19.000000000
+0200
| @@ -162,7 +162,11 @@
|       @echo making ${HYPER}/pages from $(axiom_src_srcdir)/pages directory
|       @ mkdir -p ${HYPER}/pages
|       @ cp -pr $(srcdir)/pages/*.ht ${HYPER}/pages
| -     @ cp -pr $(srcdir)/pages/*.pht ${HYPER}/pages
| +     @ (cd $(srcdir)/pages/ ; \
| +          for A in *.pht; do \

For portability, please write the above as

             for A in `ls *.pht`; do \

[...]

| -     @ cp -pr $(srcdir)/pages/*.pht ${HYPER}/pages
| +     @ (cd $(srcdir)/pages/ ; \