Re: [Axiom-developer] [build-improvements] Update torecentGCL-2.6.8pre C

From: root
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] [build-improvements] Update torecentGCL-2.6.8pre CVS
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2006 21:18:47 -0500

Bill,

I believe you're not ready to hear my answer. Lets try experience...

Implement your suggestion in your own branch and we can experiment with it.
If the experiment hints that it is a success then we'll merge it into silver.

Clearly this will raise a lot of issues, such as
how you plan to track changes in GCL,
how you plan to handle partial versions where Camm has
applied an axiom fix but not updated the version number,
how you plan to allow for downgrading versions (ala the fedora5 issue),
how axiom "hot fixes" will be handled before and after GCL upstream changes
etc...

All of these have current answers.

You can follow the same scheme you use to handle distribution of the
Zope/Plone stuff to Doyen. I'm not sure how you do it.

Does Alfredo apt-get Zope/Plone with your upstream changes?
Does Alfredo get a vanilla Zope/Plone CVS and then apply your changes?
Do you maintain a Zope/Plone tarball and apply your changes?
Do you maintain your own Zope/Plone CVS with your local changes?
How do you get your changes pushed upstream?
What if they aren't accepted?
Suppose Doyen uses Fedora6 and Zope/Plone doesn't work. What happens now?

Since you distribute the wiki then whatever your scheme is you can try to
set up axiom in the same way and we can experiment with it.