[Axiom-developer] Re: gcl-2.6.8pre on MAC OSX 10.2

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: gcl-2.6.8pre on MAC OSX 10.2
Date: 01 Nov 2006 12:37:50 -0500

Greetings!

"Page, Bill" <address@hidden> writes:

> Camm,
>
> On Wednesday, November 01, 2006 9:47 AM you wrote:
> > Bill Page wrote:
> > > Ooops! Looks like the problem has shifted to another symbol. :-(

> > > Compiling
> > >
> > /home/users/b/bi/billpage/osx/axiom.build-improvements/obj/powerpc-app
> > > le-darwin6.8/interp/g-util.lsp.
> > > ...skipping...
> > > Error: Undefined symbol "_sqrt"
> > > Fast links are on: do (si::use-fast-links nil) for debugging
> > > Error signalled by LOAD.
> > > Broken at BUILD-INTERPSYS.  Type :H for Help.
> > > BOOT>>make[2]: ***
> > > [/home/users/b/bi/billpage/osx/axiom.build-improvements/build
> > > /powerpc-apple-darwin6.8/bin/interpsys] Error 255
> > > make[1]: *** [interp/stamp] Error 2
> > > make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> > > ppc-osx3:~/osx/axiom.build-improvements $
> > >

> > Sigh.  As usual, I cannot reproduce on the mac to which I have
> > access.  I'm assuming you see the same issue with
> >
> > (defun foo (x) (declare (long-float x)) (the long-float (sqrt x)))
> > (compile 'foo)
> >
> > Am also assuming that the read-byte test I posted earlier now
> > passes.
> >

> Yes. It seems that problem might be that 'sqrt' does not
> appear in plt.h. So I added a call to sqrt(d); in plttest.c
> and I am running it again.
>
> Make sense?

Yes, indeed, and this is now committed.  Thanks!

As the comments in plt.c indicate, we still need a mechanism whereby
improvements to gcl_cmpopt.lsp (which result in writing more C symbols
into compiled files) seemlessly updates plttest.c.  Right now, we just
have to remember to make the change in both places, which in this case
failed :-(.

cvs head has a more thorough plttest which resists C optimizers'
attempts to eliminate dead code.  I see no reason for a backport at
the moment.

Take care,