RE: [Axiom-developer] Re: sock_get_string_buf

From: Bill Page
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] Re: sock_get_string_buf
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2006 11:08:32 -0500

On November 2, 2006 10:37 AM Tim Daly wrote:

> > > fails on MAC OSX PPC
> > >
> > > config.status: creating po/Makefile.in
> > > config.status: executing depfiles commands
> > > config.status: executing default commands
> > > file=./`echo fr | sed 's,.*/,,'`.gmo \
> > >   && rm -f $file && PATH=../src:$PATH msgfmt -o $file fr.po
> > > /bin/sh: line 1: msgfmt: command not found
> > > make[3]: *** [fr.gmo] Error 127
> > > make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> > > make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
> > > make: *** [binutils/bfd/libbfd.a] Error 2
> > > sh-2.05b#
> > >

> > msgfmt is part of gettext. You need the following options to
> > encourage gcl to use it's own built-in version of gettext:
> >
> > ./configure --enable-locbfd --disable-statsysbfd
> >
> > These should be the default of MAC OSX
>
> Actually that fails also with the same output.

???

Are you double sure of this? Your result doesn't make sense
because gcl internally builds it's own version of gettext
as part of the bfd build and finds msgfmt there *internally*.
This works for me on the MAC OSX that I have been using.

> The apt-get worked for debian-style systems like debian and
> ubuntu.
>
> Yum does not know about binutils-dev which is a debian package
> so Fedora 6 still won't build. I searched for the binutils-dev
> equivalent but have not yet found it.

You should not have to install binutils-dev *if* you ask gcl
to use it's own built-in version.

> There is no apt-get or yum tool for the MAC that I can find.

You don't need to install binutils so you don't need
apt-get or yum.