RE: [Axiom-developer] New branch?

From: Bill Page
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] New branch?
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 10:22:04 -0500

On November 14, 2006 9:44 AM Waldek Hebisch wrote:

> I consider starting a new branch.  I feel that Axiom needs a
> period of faster developement, in particular removing and/or
> cleaning old code.

Great!

> General directions:
> -- generate all information that can be generated (documentation,
>    images, databases)
> -- remove unused code (both old and new but unfinished)
> -- rework file handling (current code is buggy, complicated and
>    inefficient)
> -- improve SPAD compiler
>
> My goals partially overlap with goals of build-improvements,
> but I reached a point where I need deeper changes (including
> compiler) to support better build.  Also, unused/needlessy
> complicated code makes changes and understanding harder, so
> I think that cleanups and removals should be done quickly --
> accepting risks of temporary breakage.

I agree.

There are at least two other possible branches that we should
consider:

  - documentation improvements branch (Ralf?)
  - hyperdoc improvements branch

However for each such branch I think we need someone to take
primary responsibility. Is there anyone sufficiently strongly
motivated to take on the task of hyperdoc improvements?