Re: [Axiom-developer] RE: gcl-2.6.8pre on MAC OSX 10.2

From: Humberto Ortiz Zuazaga
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] RE: gcl-2.6.8pre on MAC OSX 10.2
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 08:27:53 -0400

Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:
On Tue, 14 Nov 2006, Humberto Ortiz Zuazaga wrote:

| I think I tracked down the problem. In build-improvements, on the Mac,
| the configure for gcl was being called with a broken --enable-machine
| flag, and the subsequent make would fail.
|
| I think this patch to configure.ac.pamphlet fixes it.
|
| I also incorporated other suggested changes to the configure flags:
|
| 1) we should use locbfd instead of custreloc
|
| 2) we don't need X Window system support or xgcl
|
| With these changes a full build of noweb, gcl and axiom work on my
| PowerPC Mac OS X 10.4.8 machine with the following steps:
|
| # remove fink /sw/bin from the path
| PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/X11R6/bin
| ./configure --without-noweb --without-gcl
| make

This is great!  We should disable xgcl for all of the targets.
Could your update your patch accordingly and commit?
I can do it but not now (unfortunately).

I'm slowly going crazy. gcl builds without problems, but not from the axiom build-improvements makefiles if I configure axiom --without-gcl. A gcl is built and installed into build/{ARCH}, but it segfaults as soon as it starts.

A build from the lsp directory seems to work, but not from the toplevel. It produces a working gcl in build/{ARCH}/bin/gcl.

I suspect a problem with the ENV= definition in the top-level Makefile, but haven't been able to track it down. Are we supposed to define GCLDIR? It currently isn't being defined, and an empty GCLDIR is being passed on to make in the lsp directory

A make distclean in the toplevel leaves the broken gcl in the lsp directory, so I'm deleting the whole source tree between every build.

--
Humberto Ortiz-Zuazaga
Programmer-Archaeologist