Re: [Axiom-developer] Building Axiom twice

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Building Axiom twice
Date: 22 Nov 2006 17:44:26 +0100

Waldek Hebisch <address@hidden> writes:

| Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:
| > Waldek Hebisch <address@hidden> writes:
| >
| > | Remark2. From my point of view the stamp stuff in the main Makefile
| > | is not doing anything usefull,
| >
| > Could you clarify what you mean by this?
| >

| > | diff -ru build-improvements.bb/Makefile.pamphlet
build-improvements/Makefile.pamphlet
| > | --- build-improvements.bb/Makefile.pamphlet       2006-11-21
00:10:38.000000000 +0100
| > | +++ build-improvements/Makefile.pamphlet  2006-11-21 02:27:34.000000000
+0100
| > | @@ -263,10 +263,6 @@
| > |  all-recursive: @axiom_required_build_utils@
| > |
| > |  all-ax:
| > | - @ echo 1 making a ${SYS} system, PART=${PART} SUBPART=${SUBPART}
| > | - @ echo 2 Environment ${ENV}
| > | - @ $(MAKE) stamp-rootdirs
| > | - @ ${ENV} $(MAKE) $(src_stamp)
| > |   @echo 3 finished system build on `date` | tee >lastBuildDate
| >
| > Why?
| >
| > |  all-bootsys: $(lsp_stamp)
| > | @@ -279,9 +275,6 @@
| > |  <<noweb>>
| > |  <<install>>
| > |
| > | -$(src_stamp): $(lsp_stamp)
| > | - cd $(build_srcdir) && $(ENV) $(MAKE)
| > | -
| >
| > Why?
| >

| We have already run make in src subdirectory: the first run is
| from recursive part.  So I must ask why do you want to run make
| in src subdirectory twice?  My understanding was that you did not
| intend that.

Correct, I don't want to Make src/ twice.  However, there is a
dependency which I think is lost in the removal your suggest.

Before build-improvements was created, Axiom used to build a locally
patched version of GCL which needed objects from src/lib (sockio-c.o
and all that).  So, the very first thing the makefile did (after
building noweb) was to Make src/lib (and not any other sibling
directory). After that, GCL is made, then src is walked starting with
boot/, interp/ and so one.  But you src/ in general depends on
lsp/, which itself depends on src/lib.

Now that we don't need to build a patched version of GCL, we do
this:
  (1) build noweb if necessary
  (2) build GCL if necessaary -- as if we build on its own; however
         install in $(axiom_builddir)
  (3) build a Lisp image that contains objects from src/lib
      (a) so, we must have built src/lib before building the Lips image.

-- Gaby