Re: [Axiom-developer] Testing build-improvements

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Testing build-improvements
Date: 22 Nov 2006 22:13:12 +0100

Waldek Hebisch <address@hidden> writes:

| Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:
| > This patchlet works for me.  Could you test it?
| >
| > *** document.in (revision 15247)
| > --- document.in (local)
| > *************** while test $# -gt 0 ; do
| > *** 129,136 ****
| >
| >         --tangle)
| >            do_tangle=yes
| > !          if test -n $arg; then
| > !              chunk=$arg
| >            fi
| >            # --tangle may not be combined with any other
| >            # options.  FIXME:  Check that.
| > --- 129,136 ----
| >
| >         --tangle)
| >            do_tangle=yes
| > !          if test -n "$arg"; then
| > !              chunk=`echo -n $arg`
| >            fi
| >            # --tangle may not be combined with any other
| >            # options.  FIXME:  Check that.
| >

| Works for me.

Thanks.

| But I still do not understand this:
|
|        chunk=`echo -n $arg`
|
| thing (despite later messages).

It is trying to turn $arg that might be splitted into many strings
(because of over quoting -- despite the popular belief that quoting
should be done systematically) into a single string so that is has
only one quote at the beginning and one quote at the end.

| Using bash I can just put
|
|        chunk=$arg
|
| and it works (the problem was on test line).  Zsh manual claims
| that word splitting is not done on assignment (and I think
| same is true for bash).

That behaviour is controlled by options, so the simpler asssignment
which should work is brittle.  You can remove the echo, but PLEASE
don't quote $arg in the assinment.

-- Gaby