Re: [Axiom-developer] ENV

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] ENV
Date: 22 Nov 2006 23:46:05 +0100

root <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

| > | everything will still work.
| > | ENV is just a local name created 20 years ago.
| >
| > Not just because it was created 20 years ago means that its usage is
| > correct today.  The world did not stop spining while Axiom was
| > hibernating.
|
| There is an interaction between the shell variable mechanism,
| the way make expands and overrides variables, and the command line.

Yes.

[...]

| The way axiom's makefile work you can override the make variables
| on the command line thus:

so does build-improvements.

| make AWK=nawk
|
| but it appears that this is not true with MAKEFLAGS

build-improvements sets the variable AWK in Makefiles, derived from
configure findings.  This is set in every generated Makefile.
Consequently it is overridable from the command line.  Try

   make AWK=nawk

   Overriding Variables
   ====================

      An argument that contains `=' specifies the value of a variable:
   `V=X' sets the value of the variable V to X.  If you specify a value in
   this way, all ordinary assignments of the same variable in the makefile
   are ignored; we say they have been "overridden" by the command line
   argument.

| http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-bugs/2004-June/007479.html

Notice also that I'm not talking of .MAKEFLAGS, but only values passed
down in MAKEFLAGS.

I don't see this issue affecting build-improvements.

-- Gaby