Re: [Axiom-developer] AxiomBinaries

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] AxiomBinaries
Date: 29 Nov 2006 19:47:11 +0100

"Page, Bill" <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

| In a separate thread Waldek mentioned the need for a
|
|  # make dist
|
| script that would automatically build a complete Axiom distribution
| with proper wrapper scripts and possibly also automatic installation
| programs (such as the one included now with the Axiom on Windows
| binary distribution.

In an old conversion with Tim (where we were tlaking about keeping GCL
source in or not), I mentioned that idealy we must have a Make target
dist and dist-check that build a distribution tarball (as opposed to
binary) and check that the tarball will actually build properly
(necessary on the platform being test).  Those Make targets come for
free when one uses Automake, but they need substantial work to
implement *correctly* if done by hand.  It is on my TODO list, but it
has lower priority.  The priority is first to bring the system to a
state where we can test on more plaforms without having to duplicate
information or work.  We are getting closer and closer to the goal.
More the moment, I'm happing to have GCL ncluded as source code.

-- Gaby