[Axiom-developer] severe (!) bug in normalize

From: Martin Rubey
Subject: [Axiom-developer] severe (!) bug in normalize
Date: 05 Dec 2006 20:38:52 +0100

Dear all,

I just discovered a severe bug in normalize$EFSTRUC. It is probably the worst
thing I found so far.

with

 T :=t^(n^2)*(sqrt(1+t))^n

 normalize(T/eval(T, n=n-1))

gives sqrt(t+1). sum$SUMFS uses this method to check whether a function is
rational for Gosper, and thus returns completely false results, which are,
however, difficult to detect.

Waldek, am I right that you know normalize a little bit? If you do, PLEASE look
into this, it is a real show stopper for me.

Thanks,

Martin