Re: [Axiom-developer] MathML package

From: Arthur Ralfs
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] MathML package
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2007 00:17:18 -0800

Bill Page wrote:
> Arthur,
>
> Perhaps we can also install this on the Axiom Wiki web server
> so that MathML output can be viewed directly in the Wiki. Last
> time I tried this (with the Reduce MathML interface) I ran into
> problems with forcing the Wiki to generate the correct headers
> for web pages that contain MathML. Do you know of any way to
> embed MathML into HTML that does not (quite) conform to the
> XHTML standard?
>
> Regards,
> Bill Page.

Bill,

As far as I know the following is the "correct" way to embed mathml into
xhtml.  The file needs to have the extension xml or xhtml.  html doesn't
work (in Firefox), I guess however that if delivering the page with a
web server the content type could be set so that the file extension
wouldn't matter.

<?xml version="1.0" ?>
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1 plus MathML 2.0//EN"

"http://www.w3.org/Math/DTD/mathml2/xhtml-math11-f.dtd"; >
  <head>
    <title>MathML Test </title>
  </head>
    <math xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1998/Math/MathML"; mathsize="big"
display="block">
    </math>

This also works, again with file extension  xml or xhtml.

    <math xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1998/Math/MathML"; mathsize="big"
display="block">
    </math>

Arthur