RE: [Axiom-developer] status of windows version

From: Bill Page
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] status of windows version
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 09:31:30 -0500

On February 19, 2007 6:15 AM Martin Rubey wrote:

> sorry about asking a FAQ...

:-) No so frequent, I think.

> Tomorrow I will have to install Axiom on a MS Windows machine
> for a very renowned professor who wants to use my guessing
> package.
>
> Is there anything I should be aware of? Is Windows version
> 0.1.4 the current version?

Yes - current as of 2 years ago. :-(

> Is there any way to make hyperdoc, i.e., the "browse"
> functionality, available under windows?

No, not at present. I think the best way of supporting hyperdoc
on Windows is to use Microsoft Virtual PC (or VMware, both are
free) and install a linux system on the virtual machine, then
install Axiom, e.g. wh-sandbox. I use Virtual PC extensively.
It works very well - especially if you have at least a dual-core
machine and enough ram (at least 1 Gb.). If you need help with

> I guess wh-sandbox does not run under windows? (Bill said,
> build-improvements does...)

Yes, I have successfully built build-improvments on Windows.
Of course since there is no X-windows environment of Windows,
hyperdoc and graphics are not built.

wh-sandbox was branched from build-improvements before the
ability to build on Windows was added so, no, I don't think
wh-sandbox will build on Windows at this time. It would be nice
if Waldek or Gaby could merge the build-improvements branch
with the wh-sandbox branch. If they could do that, I think
it would form a very good basis for a new Axiom Silver
distribution.