[Axiom-developer] Re: [Axiom-mail] %S in some contr. pkg fails to compil

From: Martin Rubey
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: [Axiom-mail] %S in some contr. pkg fails to compile
Date: 25 Feb 2007 13:25:57 +0100

Dear Ralf

(I'm the author of mantepse & co)

Ralf Stephan <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello, why is it that I can compile the Simpson's method's spad file but not
> mantepse.spad? The latter contains %S strings which let the compile command
> choke.

Hm, I don't see any %S strings in any of my source packages?

If you just want to use the package, I'd advise you to check out Waldek
Hebisch's branch, it contains my package and many other improvements.

Otherwise, here are some instructions:

you need to get *all* of

ssolve.spad.pamphlet
rec.spad.pamphlet
fffg.spad.pamphlet
mantepse.spad.pamphlet

Put them into a directory, say "guess" and cd to that directory:

cd guess

  you then have to issue

document ssolve.spad.pamphlet
document rec.spad.pamphlet
document fffg.spad.pamphlet
document mantepse.spad.pamphlet

  which should produce ssolve.spad, rec.spad, fffg.spad, mantepse.spad and also
  documentation in .dvi format.

  If any of these files contains "%S", something is wrong...

  Now you should start Axiom

axiom

  and start compiling *in this order*:

)co fffg.spad
)co ssolve.spad

  the following will most likely signal an error like "UFPS not found"...

)co mantepse.spad )co UFPS

  thus you have to do it once more:

)co mantepse.spad )co UFPS

)co rec.spad

  the following is the easiest way to work around a stupid bug...

)sys rm -rf UFPS.*

  this final compilation will take a *very* long time (half an hour or so)

)co mantepse.spad

  if any of the above compile commands (except the one indicated) fails, please
  send mail again.

  I'm very sorry that building is so complicated. I'd be very interested
  whether you succeed...

Good Luck,

Martin

PS: this week there will be a yet improved version of my package available.