[Axiom-developer] Re: [sage-devel] Science calls Sage a "supercomputer"

From: Justin C. Walker
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: [sage-devel] Science calls Sage a "supercomputer"
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 09:25:57 -0700

On Mar 23, 2007, at 09:01 , Bill Page wrote:

As much as I value getting some long needed press for things
related to computer algebra, I am particularly disturbed that a
high profile publication like Science Magazine from the American
Association for the Advancement of Science should so badly
misrepresent the nature of a computer algebra system!

The software used in the E8 project is readily available, and it looks to be more-or-less pure C++. There is only one mention of SAGE, and that is in a directory string: "/data1/sage".

I think that they used sage.math, not SAGE.

Still, there is a bunch of hype that could be misleading, but I don't think it's a big deal. "Any publicity...", as has been often observed.

Justin

--
Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon-At-Large
--------