Re: [Axiom-developer] domains with parameters versus Python classes

From: Ondrej Certik
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] domains with parameters versus Python classes
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2007 00:26:30 +0200

I don't know which C++ you're talking about, but the one that I use on
daily basis and work on has lists (std::list), dictionaries (std::map,
std::multimap, etc.), has many garbage collectors as libraries with
a popular one freely available from Hans Boehm's web site -- industrial
strengh.  You don't have to use pointers in C++ if you don't need to.
Many  languages claim they don't have pointers, but represent
everything as pointers.  You can have everything dynamic in C++ if
that really is hat you want.  And, by the way it has a library for
easly interfacing with Python -- check out Boost.Python from Boost.

Let's our ignorance not interfer with reality.

I also use C++ frequently, Boot.Python is very, very slow to compile,
better is to use SWIG. Hans Boehm garbage collector is of course a
nice thing, but the STL lists, map and stuff is very cumbersome to use
compared to python. Compare for example GiNaC and SymPy's
implementation of the same algorithms - SymPy is like 1/2 (or even
more) smaller, because C++ is very, very verbose.

Of course you can program in OO way in C as well, because programming
is just one, no matter which language you use, but Python is much
higher level than C++, I think noone really doubts about it.

Ondrej