Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: symbolic manipulation of expressions in Axiom

From: Waldek Hebisch
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: symbolic manipulation of expressions in Axiom
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2007 16:09:55 +0200 (CEST)

Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:
> "Bill Page" <address@hidden> writes:
>
> [...]
>
> | I would like to discuss this more with other active Axiom
> | developers.
>
> Why should InputForm be preferable over Expression T?

When I want use symbolic domain (which is rather rare) I want
a single domain.  So one should fix T first.  Natural candidate
for T is Integer.  But Expression Integer is a field of
characteristic 0.  I can easily imagine expresions which go
beyond that (noncommutative variables, zero divisors, mixed
characteristic).  Also ATM Expression Integer does not do
zero test before division but IMHO this is a bug.  OTOH
general symbolic domain may lack normal forms.

--
                              Waldek Hebisch
address@hidden