Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: axiom-mode

From: C Y
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: axiom-mode
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 10:20:50 -0700 (PDT)

--- Martin Rubey <address@hidden> wrote:

> > Are there any Emacs gurus on the list who would be interested
> > enough to take over the project?
>
> Cliff, I think it would be best if you start hacking!  Most likely,
> emacs people will be able to help, but there are simply too few
> axiom people around!

Ugh.  OK, I'll take a look at it.  (Hurry up Climacs...)

> Just another idea: M-up could get you into output "mode", and in that
> "mode", some ordinary keys have a different meaning: b for blue
> foreground, B for blue background, g for green, r for red, space for
> black, etc.  That would really be a killer app!  None of the current
> interfaces for maple, mathematica, mupad, etc. is able to do that!
> I beg you to look at it!

I'll check - Jay, does Emacs allow that kind of dynamic, context
sensitive key binding?  I MIGHT be able to put together some sort of
hack but an Emacs supplied mechanism would be better.

> > It was sort of a "notebook in textmode" as far as concept went.
>
> I think you shouldn't go further with the notebook idea.  It's cute
> that invalid input turns red (unfortunately undo (M-_) doesn't turn
> it black anymore), but I'd really leave it at that.

Actually, I might get the undo binding to turn it black.  Good point.
I don't view the turning red on alteration of input as trivial - it
avoids the situation where someone was going to make a change, forgets
to evaluate it, and then prints something that appears to show
incorrect output.  As for the "notebook", I have always been frustrated
with accidental "wiping out" of input prompts and other structures that
users shouldn't be editing.  I think, give or take the bugs, I am
content to leave it pretty much where it is (your output marking
feature I can take a stab at) and move on to the more advanced LaTeX
based features.

> Forget about automatically determining boundaries.  And for the
> moment, region and line would be just wonderful.

OK, I think EMaxima provides an example of that.

> Well, just get over it :-) Don't try to make it perfect! Yes it
> should work, but for the moment, it's more important to make life
> with axiom more comfy.

I suppose.  Since my idea for Doing It Right doesn't involve Emacs
anyway I suppose being pragmatic wouldn't hurt...

> > I'm not really that crazy about Emacs based on my experiences to
> > date with it,
>
> but I am!  Only, I think my abilities would be rather badly employed
> by trying to mess with emacs modes.

OK, if there is interest I'll take a stab at it.  I take it you are
interested mainly in being able to send lines and highlight output, and
not so much the LaTeX session integration of EMaxima?

Cheers,
CY

 a little couch potato?