Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: lisp portability

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: lisp portability
Date: 22 May 2007 14:48:02 -0500

Gabriel Dos Reis <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

|   * Improve Boot -- I already have enough to get rid of most of
|     Lisp forms.

To expand on this.

As I reported earlier, there is an experimental support for "modules"
in Boot (gdr-sandbox) that allows one to specify how one file
depends on other modules.  In particular, with CLISP, it is possible
to reuse on the fly information the CLISP compiler unconditionaly
generates.

As of today, it is possible to define simple type specifiers at the
Boot level (gdr-sandbox).  For example, for

    Float <=> DOUBLe_-FLOAT
    Boolean <=> MEMBER(false, true)

I have the translations:

   (DEFTYPE |Float| () 'DOUBLE-FLOAT)
   (DEFTYPE |Boolean| () '(MEMBER NIL T))

Next step is to make it possible to specifiy return type and types on
function parameters, and have bootsys automatically save those
information as part of the information generated for modules.  That
will complete the long term goal of automatically generating
proclamation information to be used by those Lisp compilers that care
-- CLISP does not care, SBCL check type declarations and use them for
optimization; GCL use them for optimization; etc.

-- Gaby