[Axiom-developer] Packages and compilation

From: Waldek Hebisch
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Packages and compilation
Date: Sat, 26 May 2007 04:50:09 +0200 (CEST)

I am somewhat puzzled by error message given by gcl compiling
a file containing following snippet:

(eval-when (:execute :compile-toplevel :load-toplevel)
  (if (not (find-package "AXIOM-LISP"))
       (make-package "AXIOM-LISP"
                          :use (list (or (find-package "COMMON-LISP")
                                                             "LISP")))))

(in-package "AXIOM-LISP")

when I store it in file "axl.lisp" and give the command

(compile-file "axl.lisp")

to gcl-2.6.8pre I get:

GCL (GNU Common Lisp)  2.6.8 ANSI    Apr 22 2007 12:00:35
Source License: LGPL(gcl,gmp), GPL(unexec,bfd,xgcl)
Binary License:  GPL due to GPL'ed components: (XGCL READLINE BFD UNEXEC)
Modifications of this banner must retain notice of a compatible license
Dedicated to the memory of W. Schelter

Use (help) to get some basic information on how to use GCL.
Temporary directory for compiler files set to /tmp/

>(compile-file "axl.lisp")

Compiling axl.lisp.
; (IN-PACKAGE "AXIOM-LISP") is being compiled.
;; Warning: The package operation (IN-PACKAGE "AXIOM-LISP") was in a bad place.
Error in IN-PACKAGE [or a callee]: A package error occurred on "AXIOM-LISP":
"No such package".

Fast links are on: do (use-fast-links nil) for debugging
Broken at IN-PACKAGE.  Type :H for Help.
 1 (Continue)
 2 (SYSTEM:ERROR-SET '(EVAL '(IN-PACKAGE "AXIOM-LISP")))
 3 (Abort) Return to top level.
dbl:>>

The file compiles fine in CLtL1, more precisely I get warnings, but
the file works as expected.  It also works interpreted, but I want
to put inside calls to C functions (defentry form) and for that IIUC
I have to compile it.
--
                              Waldek Hebisch
address@hidden