Re: [Axiom-developer] NAG libraries

From: Stephen Wilson
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] NAG libraries
Date: 03 Jun 2007 18:47:35 -0400

Hello Martin,

Martin Rubey <address@hidden> writes:

> Stephen Wilson <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Though not dead strictly speaking, Im looking at removing the nag fortran
> > library support, which appears quite straight forward to do.
>
> PLEASE do the opposite!  My faculty has the libraries, and I would love to be
> able to use them, just, I do not know how.  is nagman available?

I know very little about the former integration of the NAG libraries.

> It does not make sense to drop support for such a great product, even if
> commercial and available only to few.

It makes sense to me:

  - none but a privileged few can use the library.  It costs $2500.

  - I know of no one who can maintain the interface with the library.

  - Assuming the library was supported, the community at large cannot
    explore a potentially large portion of Axioms numerical
    capabilities.

  - and according to others, the current interface is undesirable
    anyways.

As mentioned by others, what we need is a general solution for linking
with third party libraries.

We can only explore the options which exist in open source form.

Sincerely,
Steve