Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: root chunks

From: Ralf Hemmecke
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: root chunks
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 11:08:15 +0200

In general, I agree.  In the specific case of intermediate generated
files, I would like the filenames to retain some relationship to their
origin to aid debugging.

Again, look at ALLPROSE. The idea is that while generating the .as files you also generate line information into that file. Something like

#line 56 "myalps/prtype.as.nw"

that gives the compiler a hint where it should look for the original source. Of course, you need a smart compiler to deal with #line directives. The same applies for a debugger. The compiler should forward the #line information into the executable so that the debugger can deal with that information.

There is simply no need to have chunk names corresponding to filenames.

Ralf