[Axiom-developer] Re: Autoconf change

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: Autoconf change
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 09:36:09 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 25 Jun 2007, address@hidden wrote:

| I invite you to create a diff-Naur patch that creates ONLY the
| autoconf facility as a changeset. Do the diff-Naur against the current
| silver. I'll withhold changes to silver until you're ready. Please try
| to make the changeset specific to autoconf, not to other features.

This is impractical:  Given windows filesystem characteristic, it is
not possible to check out silver source codes in a meaningful way
on windows, because of the case insensitive issues.  The net result
is that I will not be able to check out trunk and test whether any
merge from build-improvements to trunk works.  I do consider the fact
that build-improvements can build on windows essential.

There are several ways to solve this:

  (1) you check in your mega change that solves that problem, or
  (2) you check in only the changes that are needed for successful
      check out on windows.  Personally, I don't see why that change
      useful in its own should be put on hold for a much bigger
      change.  Incremental improvements!

-- Gaby