Re: [Axiom-developer] A modest proposal

From: Stephen Wilson
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] A modest proposal
Date: 28 Jun 2007 09:10:23 -0400

address@hidden writes:

> Now that we've had a full, frank, and open debate about William Sit's
> proposal I have a counter-proposition. It can be summed up in a single
> word:
>
> Contribute.

I have read virtually very email on this list since 2004.  The basic
expectations have never changed for a developer who wishes to help
move axiom forward.  Work on a change, document it, submit a patch.

I am free to use whatever SCM I choose.  I am free to pursue whatever
problem my heart desires.  There are no restrictions, there are no
bottlenecks.

If I have a problem to solve I can hack away in whatever manner suits
me.  I can document my work in the process.  I can test and verify my
changes locally using whatever technique gives me confidence.  Once
satisfied, using any tool of my choosing, I can post a diff against
Silver in a matter of seconds.  It is my responsibility, and mine
alone, to ensure that the change is a quality change.

Silver is a moving target.  If a conflict were to emerge between my
change and Silver, I deal with it.

The process is so blindingly simple I find it hard to believe it even
needs discussion.

Steve