Re: [Axiom-developer] Build machinery -- support for out of source build

From: Stephen Wilson
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Build machinery -- support for out of source build
Date: 01 Jul 2007 10:34:32 -0400

Gabriel Dos Reis <address@hidden> writes:

> On Sun, 1 Jul 2007, Stephen Wilson wrote:
>
> | Am I correct in assuming the generated .lisp files are still easily
> | inspected and modified, and share their own component of the
> | dependency graph for make?
>
> If I understand your question correctly, the answer is yes.

Ok.  Just for the sake of clarity, I meant that one can modify the
intermediate lisp, and have those changes picked up by the build
process without them being overwritten by a fesh tangling of a
pamphlet.

> | I guess I would like a tad bit more info than saying the current
> | scheme is bad.  It tells me nothing about the benifits of your change.
>
> In my experience, the current scheme has led to more problems, complications
> than any perceived benefits.  It has many pitfalls when trying to
> port to "non-conventional" filesystems, e.g. what you'd find on windows
> and unixes with mounted filesystems.  I believe wh-sandbox was
> branched before I finished making build-improvements fully workable
> on windows.  I believe people have ecncountered amny variations of the
> problems there.  On balance, I see the current steup having more
> problems than benefits it gives us on daily basis.

Sure.  Still unclear about how that relates to getting rid of int/, as
its just another directory.  Of course, Im the first to admit I have
near-zero experience with "non-conventional" file systems,
particularly windows.  Regardless, my main concern is the current
property of int/ w.r.t re-make, as mentioned above.

Many thanks for taking the time to respond to my questions!

Take care,
Steve