[Axiom-developer] out of source builds

From: daly
Subject: [Axiom-developer] out of source builds
Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2007 17:03:13 -0500

> We should adopt best practice in other areas as well, namely
> the way source code control systems are used. Use one (SVN)...

Did you listen to that video talk by Linus Torvalds about Git?  Did
you follow the linux mailing list debate about the relative merits of
Bitkeeper vs other systems?  Have you looked at mercurial?  I would be
hard pressed to claim that there is a clear "best practice" in this
area.  SVN is not considered "best practice" by all concerned since it
lacks several features important for distributed group development.
Indeed, GNU's Savannah server, which hosts Axiom, is the largest
repository of free software. It supports Arch, Git, and CVS but not
SVN. However, SVN works (mostly) and we did decide to use it.

This is all religion the debate will never end. We use what works
and try to accommodate others.