Re: [Axiom-developer] A modest proposal

From: Bill Page
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] A modest proposal
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2007 16:27:40 -0400

On 03 Jul 2007 16:01:27 -0400, Camm Maguire wrote:

Yes, I would be happy to upload a new version.  But please be advised
that it is not a light task.  We managed to get axiom working on all
12 Debian platforms, a feat which easily could take several months.
So it would be great if there was a clear slow-moving official release
target somewhere.

I am confident that it will be *much* easier to get working versions
Axiom based on the new build system in the build-improvements and
wh-sandbox branches. Both of these versions use an approach very
similar to the one that you used for Debian.

Of course, it could be argued that portability to all these machines
is not all that important, in which case we can configure the package
accordingly.

I think the presence of an up to date version of Axiom on the Debian
platforms would be a very good thing. The wh-sandbox branch has many
critical fixes to both the algebra and to hyperdoc.