Re: [Axiom-developer] friCAS

From: Bill Page
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] friCAS
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2007 00:08:46 -0400

Tim,

I think your email to Waldek is grossly unfair and inaccurate. I think
Waldek (building on top of the work done by Gaby) has contributed more
to the Axiom project in the last 6 months than any other Axiom
developer has in the last 5 years Your claim that he would "rather not
contribute to Axiom" is ludicrous. I think it is clear from the axiom
developer email archive that Waldek initially did not "prefer to
create his own project", rather it seems obvious to me that the
creation of a separate project was entirely in response to actions and
statements made by you.

About the name "Axiom": I believe that the most accurate statement
would be that this name still "belongs" to NAG through the copyright
statement that NAG insisted on as part of the open source release. To
associate "Axiom" only with this particular open source project as you
have defined it, would be misleading and probably wrong. But of course
it would be inconvenient to have two projects with exactly the same
name so identifying itself as "FriCAS (AXIOM fork) Computer Algebra
System" seems entirely appropriate to me.

I disagree completely that Waldek's work "does not support the goals
of the Axiom community". Since I am a member of that community, I
resent your speaking in this manner. You are completely wrong when you
say Waldek "sees fit not to contribute his work to the Axiom
community". FriCAS is an open source project. Anyone interested in
Axiom is able to access and contribute to this work.

Waldek has already setup a separate project for FriCAS on SourceForge at:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/fricas

I am *very* disappointed that you apparently intend to force the
FriCAS project to remain separate from what you are calling the "Axiom
project". You seem to be unaware of the damage that you are causing.
And I fear that this might force people to "vote with their feet"
rather than collaborating in the manner that one expects in an open
source project. :-(

Bill Page.