Re: [Axiom-developer] Axiom, FriCAS, forks and teeth

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Axiom, FriCAS, forks and teeth
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 15:09:20 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 11 Jul 2007, C Y wrote:

| --- Gabriel Dos Reis <address@hidden> wrote:
|
| > I believe that the core of the system would have to change, evolved,
| > rewritten, rethinked.
| > The future -- at least the near future -- is in parallel/distributed
| > computations with multicores expected to grow exponentially.  We
| > will have to rethink most of the algorithms at the of the system.
| > Not just envelops like graphics backends.
|
| For performance concerns, certainly - and I would support and be highly
| interested in such work.  For myself, I am more interested in the
| limits of correctness verification than high performance parallel
| computing.

Multicore are no longer supercomputers myths you would find in
highly financed National Labs.  They are the reality today.
If you order a machine from Dell, the probability that you
get a multicore is very high.  How do you we wisely and efficiently
use that computational power?  Clearly Waldek has an example where
Axiom is making a dumb use of resource.  No matter how correct the answer
is.  How would you react to computation of determinant of
an nxn matrix with complexity O(n!)?

Many things that were considered absolute truths or theorems a decade
ago are no longer valid.  We have to retthink the algorithms we
implement; we have to rethink the core system.

-- Gaby