Re: [Axiom-developer] Literate Programming

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Literate Programming
Date: 12 Jul 2007 19:28:36 -0500

address@hidden writes:

[...]

| Literate Haskell style is supported by typical Haskell environments.
| In this approach, the code-comment relation is reversed. Normally the
| code has primacy, and the comments are introduced by a special syntax,
| as if in afterthought. In the literate approach, the comments are
| primary.  By default, text is comment; the code must be introduced by
| a special notation stating that it is code.

Anyone talking about Literate Haskell should *actually* try to
see how it is practiced on large scale Haskell programs.  I had had
direct conversations with Simon Peyton Jones (and Simon Marlow) about
GHC -- probably the largest Haskell program -- its literate
documentation (almost two years ago) and its documentation no later
than a month ago at HOPL-III).

-- Gaby