[Axiom-developer] Re: votes

From: Martin Rubey
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: votes
Date: 17 Jul 2007 23:56:57 +0200

address@hidden writes:

> In a model that encourages 97 branches (I have more than a dozen
> locally) and any one branch can be the next Gold, how do you
> propose that a developer contribute a change? Where would they
> contribute it to?

To any branch she likes.  In fact, fortunately axiom is relatively modular,
contrary to most other CAS I know.  So, if I post a patch to axiom-developer,
it should be quite easy to adapt it to any branch, as long as branches do not
break this modularity.  If we go with the model I proposed on MathAction,
patches against trunk would be picked up "semi-automatically" by all others,
since "staying in sync with trunk within reason" is recommended for "community
driven branches" anyhow.  And the incentive to stay in sync with trunk is huge,
since otherwise it is quite unlikely that the branch will ever be merged into
trunk.

I didn't suggest that any branch could be next Gold, by the way.  Rather, in a
private mail, I wrote:

  I would, in fact, also agree to an even more drastic model, namely, that
  there is no trunk, but only Gold, and popular vote decides what's going to be
  next Gold.  That way one looses some stability, though.

Martin