Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: Fricas

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: Fricas
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 01:48:20 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 26 Jul 2007, C Y wrote:

| --- Gabriel Dos Reis <address@hidden> wrote:
|
| > It strikes that people are trying hard to speculate on Fricas goals
| > and methods, much more than the originator of the Fricas project :-)
|
| Point - in fact, a very good point.  Waldek isn't joining this fray so
| far, but I'll quote from
| http://www.math.uni.wroc.pl/~hebisch/fricas/fricas-reg.html
|
| "FriCAS will use traditional methodology for new developement and
| gradually convert other files back to traditional form..."
|
| (as opposed to literate form, if I understand his statement correctly.)
|
| "FriCAS will use lightweight developement, allowing much faster
| evolution."
|
| That seems to be sufficiently different from Axiom as I have understood
| it to be defined to merit a separate project.

I'm not arguing that Fricas is the same project as Axiom.  There is a
whole world of difference between being a different project and a hostile
project.  I've not seen anything in Fricas' published manifesto that would
make me (as an Axiom user or Axiom developer) nourrish a hostility with
respect to Fricas.  In fact, I hope that after this summer heat, we would
be all back into the same boat again.

| (And is probably a good
| canditate for a description on the Axiom website.) In my opinion, it is
| also to lead to a system which will diverge quite rapidly from Axiom's
| current form.  Since Axiom itself will be diverging from its current
| point (although probably more slowly) compatibility is likely to be a
| difficult goal to strive for.  Particularly if one or both projects
| start re-examining fundamental design decisions.

Well, I believe "compatibility" needs qualification.

>From user perspective, I don't really care how the internal
algebra is built as far as my existing programs continue to work.

| I have seen no responses to my previous question, which I think defines
| the issue:  are there defining goals of Axiom the project that should
| result in development in directions incompatible with those goals
| becoming new projects?

If you were expecting ans answer from me, I did not give one simply because I
do not believe I understand the question correctly to give a meaningful
answer.

-- Gaby