Re: [Axiom-developer] Axiom meeting at ISSAC

From: C Y
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Axiom meeting at ISSAC
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2007 12:46:43 -0700 (PDT)

--- Gabriel Dos Reis <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Wed, 1 Aug 2007, C Y wrote:
>
> | Whatever the intent may be, the legal text of the license itself is
> | what will ultimately govern what can and cannot be done, within the
> | limits of the law.  That is why I focus on the text of the license
> | itself - intent lasts only as long as the individuals doing the
> | intending.
>
> I would encourage anyone to whom this issue really matters to attend
> the Aldor workshop and voice their concerns in face-to-face meetings.

Gaby, as you pointed out with some force earlier we have seen posted to
the list already not just speculation but very clear and explicit
information that Aldor.org wants to have a hand in any commercial
development of the Aldor code.  It has already been noted that this
makes it GPL incompatible, and anything GPL compatible is not going to
be able to serve the goals as stated.  Modified BSD is even less
compatible with that goal.

> I know some people already booked; I would encourage others to
> consider attending.

Based on what you heard at the Axiom meeting, do you think there is a
realistic chance they would consider a change that is at least GPL
compatible?  It sounds as if they have already considered that course
of action decided specifically to be GPL incompatible.  Modified BSD
will not serve their goal of non-commercial only, and is also GPL
compatible.

To me the issue at hand looks to be this:

Given the licensing terms and stated intent of Aldor.org in the release
of the Aldor source code, will the Axiom project pursue the use of
Aldor as part of Axiom?

There is also the question that if a concensus resolution to this and
other questions cannot be had, and multiple projects result, how is the
dispostion of the Axiom name to be decided?

I don't see quite how we are going to make those decisions.

CY

Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha! Play Monopoly Here and Now (it's updated for
today's economy) at Yahoo! Games.