[Axiom-developer] Re: [fricas-devel] umlaut in Guess - mailing list for

From: Waldek Hebisch
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2007 22:55:29 +0200 (CEST)

Martin Rubey wrote:

> Sorry Bill for replying late.  At least communication became a lot more
> complicated with these forks.
>
> > While building FriCAS rev: 46 using GNU CLISP 2.39 on Solaris 10.2 x86
> >  I received the error message:
> >
> >   invalid byte #xC3 in CHARSET:ASCII conversion
> >
> > in the file 'GUESS.spad'. Is this a known problem?
> [...]
> > Any suggestions? Should I just edit the file to remove these
> >  "non-standard" characters?
>
> Yes.  Newer versions of Guess should not have any umlauts, but I'm still
> considering to release newer versions GPL only.  (Because of the forks)

I set LC_ALL to ISO-8859-1 -- this normally solves the problem
(however, it seems that some clisp versions ignore this setting).
Personally, I belive that clisp insistence on single file
encoding is really a bug (there should be a way to say within
a program that we want to read a file using 8-bit encoding).

--
                              Waldek Hebisch
address@hidden