Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: help function (Waldek Hebisch)

From: Martin Rubey
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: help function (Waldek Hebisch)
Date: 05 Sep 2007 20:21:34 +0200

Waldek Hebisch <address@hidden> writes:

> Sorry, I can not find the report now -- [...] But I can show what the problem
> was.  Put the following in a file:
>
> poly := (x_
> )*y

[...]

> BTW: User example was much bigger -- when you naively split big polymomials
> into multiple lines you will quickly hit this problem.

OK, I imagined something along these lines.

> OTOH for users we may provide alternative commands, for example one can do:
>
> help(x) == systemCommand("help " . x)

Yes, I also think that this is good.  Still, I really like the second name
space.

> Drawback is that one have to give string as an argument (I would guess that
> having help as system command was at least partially motivated by need to
> have unevaluated argument).

Having Aldor might help here, since then the argument to a function may be a
domain or a category or whatever.  Although I must admit that I didn't check
the details.  I think the main problem is that you cannot easily get the name
of a domain.  There is name(%)$Trace, but I cannot remember right now how
reliable that is.

Martin