Re: [Axiom-developer] End Of File

From: Arthur Ralfs
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] End Of File
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2007 20:25:39 -0700

Alfredo Portes wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I think Arthur was going to be offline for
> a couple days. Can somebody translate
> this line for me:
>
> while (char := STRING(READ_-CHAR_-NO_-HANG(s,NIL$Lisp,'EOF)$Lisp)$Lisp)
> ^= "EOF" repeat
>              headers := concat [headers,char]
>
> Better said, what does this do:
>
> READ_-CHAR_-NO_-HANG(s,NIL$Lisp,'EOF)
>
> What is necessary to kill this loop (end of file signal).
>
> http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/images/AxServer.pamphlet
>
> Sorry for the dumb question :-),
>
> Alfredo

Alfredo,

Don't imagine that I'm a lisp expert.  I'm just hacking this stuff together
and learning as I go.  The exact workings of lisp stream objects is
still mysterious to me.

I'm just back on line this hour, however I had my laptop with me and
spent some time working on those very 2 lines of code.  They were
proving unacceptably slow at GETting large files.  It turns out that
that following 2 lines work much better:

while (line := STRING(READ_-LINE(q,NIL$Lisp,'EOF)$Lisp)$Lisp) ^= "EOF"
repeat
    file := concat [file,line,STRING(NewLine$Lisp)$Lisp]

Arthur