Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: AMS Notices: Open Source Mathematical Software

From: Doug Stewart
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: AMS Notices: Open Source Mathematical Software
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 11:33:10 -0500

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
William Stein wrote:
Well I'm trying to directly compete with heavily financed commercial
systems.  I think you are wrong that one cannot win.  Linux, Firefox,
OpenOffice, etc., are all examples of direct competition with heavily
financed commercial systems, where they have all won, at least
where "win" means establish a large solid user base and be a viable
alternative to MS Windows, MS Internet Explorer, and MS Office.

Well ... if you mean "*Red Hat* Linux has won a significant market share in servers", I agree. However, I don't think as a user that either Firefox or OpenOffice are of sufficient quality or maturity to be used on a Windows desktop, and I don't consider what they have accomplished to be a "win". They just aren't viable alternatives for anything but casual home use. I use them on Linux because they are there, but they aren't on my Windows desktop at work and probably never will be.
I disagree with you on the statement
" I don't think as a user that either Firefox or OpenOffice are of sufficient quality or maturity to be used on a Windows desktop"

I won't use anything else!
Doug Stewart